Monday, July 13, 2009

The $$$$ of gaming.

So... I play Left4Dead competitively, and... I don't know quite how to discuss it in social situations. The other night, after dinner with my step-brother, he asked if I wanted to go see Bruno. "Can't", I said, praying that he wouldn't follow up the question. He did. "Well, you see, I uh... ", I stammered, "I... have a video game match."

It's embarassing. Even when I'm on the #1 ranked team in the nation (which I was for a month or so, until a couple of embarassing defeats have knocked us down), it's something that just seems goofy and childish. Until I read some numbers.

In 2008, the gaming industry made $21 billion dollars. Billion. That's double what Hollywood made on movies. And it's not kids - the prime demographic is the thirtysomething male (me!).

Right now, the competitive video game landscape is still trying to find itself. It's akin to oil in the 30's, where everyone knows it's just below the surface - you just need to find it, and extract it properly. There are several competing leagues, but none have a solid feel or polish. Maybe that will come with time. There's too much money out there to keep throwing mom-and-pop efforts at it.

No comments: